Recognizing that our business activities affect the entire planet and that protecting the global environment is essential for our survival and activity, we actively take the initiative to protect the environment under the Nisshin Seifun Group Environmental Basic Policy, including initiatives to reduce waste and CO2 emissions and to effectively use resources and energy.
Environmental impact of business activities
In order to carry out business activities in an environmentally friendly manner, we gather information and set targets accordingly.
Fiscal 2022 results
Data period: April 2021 - March 2022
Boundary: All Group business sites in Japan and overseas
Results for the past three fiscal years
CSR Fact Book（1.27MB）
About our environmental data
- Total energy used (Japan/overseas)
- For each type of energy, we used the annual amount of energy used multiplied by the relevant conversion factor. Total energy used is calculated from the sum of these.
- Total materials used (Japan/overseas)
- Calculated using the sum of total production and total waste.
- CO2 emissions related to manufacturing (Japan/overseas)
- The domestic emissions factor is calculated using the average amount of electricity generated by Japan’s nine general power transmission and distribution companies. The emissions volume for overseas business sites is calculated using OECD figures.
- CO2 emissions related to product transportation (Japan/overseas)
- Emissions from carriers designated under Japan’s Energy Efficiency Act (Nisshin Flour Milling Inc., Nisshin Seifun Welna Inc., and Oriental Yeast Co., Ltd.) are calculated using tonne kilometer data.
Emissions for other operating companies and business sites are calculated through the transportation charge method using CO2 per production unit data in the National Institute for Environmental Studies’ Embodied Energy and Emission Intensity Data for Japan Using Input-Output Tables.
- Reference guidelines for other emissions
- Calculated using Greenhouse Gas Protocol (WRI)
- Total Waste (Japan/overseas)
- Calculated by adding together industrial waste, municipal waste, and recovered valuable material.
- Chemical substances (Japan)
- Volume calculated using the pollutant release and transfer register.
- Total liquid effluent (Japan)
- The sum of the amount of water discharged by each business site into public water systems.
- BOD (Japan)
- The total amount of biochemical oxygen demand, which indicates the amount of pollutants in water.
Independent verification of environmental data
In consideration of food safety, quality control, and environmental management, we conduct audits and environmental data is verified both internally and by external institutions. The Group’s results for CO2 emissions, water consumption, and waste in Japan have been assured by Sustainability Accounting, Co., Ltd. We will continue to improve our disclosure of non-financial information by reviewing the scope and methodology of calculations and what items should be included.
- Environmental Management
- Medium/Long-term Targets for Environmental Issues
- Material Balance
- Action on Climate Change
- Waste Reduction and Resource Recycling
- Water Resource Initiatives
- Consideration for Biodiversity
- Environmentally Friendly Products and Services
- Local Environmental Conservation Activities