Recognizing that our business activities affect the entire planet and that protecting the global environment is essential for our survival and activity, we work voluntarily and proactively to protect the environment under the Nisshin Seifun Group's Basic Environmental Policy, including initiatives to reduce waste and CO2 emissions and to effectively use resources and energy.
Environmental impact of business activities
In order to carry out business activities in an environmentally friendly manner, we gather information and set targets accordingly.
Fiscal 2023 results
Data period: April 2022–March 2023
Boundary: All Group business sites in Japan and overseas
Details of environmental data (4.0MB)
About our environmental data
- Total energy used (Japan/overseas)
- For each type of energy, we used the annual amount of energy used multiplied by the relevant conversion factor. Total energy used is calculated from the sum of these.
- Total materials used (Japan/overseas)
- Calculated using the sum of total production and total waste.
- CO2 emissions related to manufacturing (Japan/overseas)
- Since fiscal 2023, we have changed from location-based to market-based emission factors relating to the use of electric power at operation sites in Japan. These figures are calculated using emission factors published by individual electric power companies. For overseas, we use emission factors published by individual electric power companies in the regions where our operation sites are located. If those emission factors are unavailable, we use country-specific emission factors published by the IEA.
- CO2 emissions related to product transportation (Japan)
- We calculate emissions from carriers designated under Japan’s Energy Efficiency Act (Nisshin Flour Milling Inc., Nisshin Seifun Welna Inc., and Oriental Yeast Co., Ltd.).
- Reference guidelines for other emissions
- Calculated using Greenhouse Gas Protocol (WRI)
- Total Waste (Japan/overseas)
- Calculated by adding together industrial waste, municipal waste, and recovered valuable material.
- Chemical substances (Japan)
- Volume calculated using the pollutant release and transfer register.
- Total liquid effluent (Japan)
- The sum of the amount of water discharged by each business site into public water systems.
- BOD (Japan)
- The total amount of biochemical oxygen demand, which indicates the amount of pollutants in water.
Independent assurance of environmental data
The Nisshin Seifun Group conducts numerous audits from the perspectives of food safety, quality control, and environmental management. These audits, which include environmental data, are carried out both internally and by external organizations. The Group’s figures for CO2 emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste in Japan and overseas undergo third-party verification each year by Sustainability Accounting, Co., Ltd. We will continue to improve our disclosure of non-financial information by reviewing the scope and methodology of calculations, and the items that are included.
- Environmental Management
- Medium/Long-term Targets for Environmental Issues
- Material Balance
- Action on Climate Change
- Waste Reduction and Resource Recycling
- Water Resource Initiatives
- Consideration for Biodiversity
- Environmentally Friendly Products and Services
- Local Environmental Conservation Activities